Le Jardin de Cuy, endorsed by the quality label ‘Jardin Remarquable’* is open:
- on appointment
– mail: email@example.com
– telephone: +33 386 84 41 50
- every Sunday afternoon, from 2PM till 6PM, from 2 June untill 30 September.
During the season an Expo:
- “Folie des Fleurs”
- paintings by Diane de Grandry Delloye
In 2018, the garden participates in:
- the weekend Rendez-vous aux Jardins: 2 & 3 June;
- the event Jardins et Santé the 3rd of June:
- Journées du Patrimoine, 15 & 16 September.
Le Jardin de Cuy is situated in the middle of the hedgerow landscape of the department of the Nièvre. From the year 2001 one of these meadows has been and still is being transformed into a garden. It is designed around a maison forte. The origins of this fortified house date from the 14th century and until the French Revolution it was the home of the Seigneurs de Cuy. Four small lakes in a row and a gently sloping valley with Charolais type cows form the natural backdrop of the garden.
The paths through this two hectare sized, contemporary garden lead along fruit trees, a terraced garden with dark leafed plants, a kitchen garden and a cut flower enclosure, an oval with tall grasses; and there are herbaceous mixed borders around the ancient courtyard.
Botanically interesting are a bicentennial bald cypress (Taxodium distichum), tulip trees (Liriodendron tulipifera), a honey tree (Sophora japonica) and an avenue of 25 swamp oaks (Quercus palustris). Furthermore, one finds different combinations of sturdy annuals such as the castor oil plant (Ricinus), cardoon (Cynara cardunculus), Phlomis, Dahlia’s, grasses and annuals.
* Quality label issued by Ministry of Culture and Communication in France